Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Rambling Gold (the blog, not the dog pictured below)

I realize I haven't blogged in a while, but perhaps that's a good thing. I haven't felt the need to rant or rave, or quietly speak my mind. Add to that the fact that I'm swamped at work, a result of taking too much of a break over spring break (YES, teachers have work outside the classroom.) Why, just yesterday (and early this morning) I had to create two new tests for my BC calculus and PreAP Precalculus classes. Because we have brand new textbooks in all math classes this year, everything I do is from scratch. I don't even have time to work the keys to the exams prior to running them off and administering them, instead, working the key when the first class takes the exam. This means I must work faster than my smartest student so that students are alerted of any typos and (not "or") errors on the exam. Today, I caught one on each test. A BC student had beaten me to the error near the end of their exam (albeit they started on the back page.) I was dully humbled.

I have additionally been using my time and energy to get my new $4000 TI-Navigator system up and running. This is a wireless system that enables all students to plug their TI (Texas Instruments) calculator into a hub so that I can "spy" on their calculator activity. there are several "hubs" that can wirelessly transmit signals from four calculators, although each calculator must connect to the hub via a 6 foot wire-full wire. Just the set-up and tear-down each day (can't have anyone stealing math stuff) takes a while, not to mention the learning curve in implementing the new technology in a way that doesn't make me look like a teacher from the 2005s. One must be a sort of computer guru just to get the wireless router to recognize each hub. Luckily, I'm a quick, independent learner, but it does require a lot of time.

Oh yah! I also keep assigning homework, like an IDIOT teacher, because that only means I have to grade each paper, then enter each grade into the computer. I'm even stupid enough to assign homework to 80 kids each and everyday. Luckily, I don't have to worry too much about lesson planning, since I can teach each lesson from the hip. I know this is not good pedagogical practice, but one thing I AM really good at is speaking extemporaneously about mathematics. Call me Reverend Korpi, the math preacher. Luckily, there aren't too many "breakthroughs" in mathematics on a regular basis. The math stays the same, and I'm proficient at teaching the familiar skills from year to year in a way that requires students to really think, those that actually want to.

So what other lame excuses do I have to you, the faithful readers of this blog (and by "readers," I mean "mom") for not submitting something for your mental pleasure for 4 entire days (that's 96 hours, or 5,760 minutes, or 345,600 seconds . . . yes, almost a half-million seconds without a new blog contribution) . . . lots of lame excuses, but no more legitimate ones. Unless, of course, you count the preoccupation with my finishing all the darn chocolate candy from Easter that I'm going to have to do by myself (my kids LOVE the money in the plastic eggs, and feign interest in everything else small enough to squeeze into them.) I wish my parents hadn't taught me so well about "not to waste." A simple "moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips," would have done wonders to my fluctuating figure growing up.

Which reminds me . . . I've gotta run . . . literally. Those marathons don't run themselves anymore than math teaches itself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must remember, my "waste not, want not" came from being one of 8 children--and there really wasn't much to waste to begin with! I still think it's a good thought to pass on to your kids, but you're right, my waist really doesn't. And---I know for a fact that there SARE others who faithfully keep up with your blog, so thanks for keeping us posted.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the extra "S" in ARE--my fingers got happy.

Anonymous said...

Reverend Korpi we bow at your mathematics altar!

Dmac said...

The masses are reading. Keep 'em coming. Although I was relieved to see that that I wasn't too behind in my readings as my own schedule has kept me from reading.
Your marathon accomplishment has also encouraged and prompted me to sign up for the May 17th Beach to Bay marathon in Corpus Christi. Some of my early morning and late evening practice runs have ended with several out of breath , "Thanks a lot Kevin" sighs. Any tips on some great marathon music for the I-Pod?

Anonymous said...

I hope this was not your goodbye, farewell and amen...