Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mathematical Musings: Part IV


  • The other day, I slipped and fell up three flights of stairs.
  • Label your intentions
  • In the equation f(x)=100, the f(x) acts as an introductory adverbial phrase.
  • For any given angle in a triangle, two of them can be considered Adjacent sides, but we only consider the Non-Hypotenusal Adjacent side as being called Adjacent.
  • I get my quotes from books, other books, and non-books, such as conversations and non-conversations.
  • Most people who mispronounce “New BraunSfels are out-of-towners or locals at Wurstfest, who are ‘soaking up’ the local culture.
  • Is this regular hexagon (drawn in black) what a stop sign is? Of course not, stop signs are red.
  • I think it would be neat if the same groups that “adopt a highway” and pick up trash, carried with them magnet clothes to dress up the Mom and Daughter on the school crossing signs.
  • Related rates are called such, not be cause they are brothers, or sister or anything, but rather because they are more like 2nd cousins, twice removed.
  • I don’t like to run. With every step I take I say, “Gosh-this-really-sucks-I-wish-I-was-driving.”
  • I’m working on my first film. It’s taken me a while. They are probably going to charge me a late fee at Blockbuster.
  • Mr. Korpi, can we please not learn anything new today? Well that’s up to you. Do you think you can convince your classmates not to pay attention to the lesson which I will be giving today?
  • If we travel around the first parallel, could we claim that we have traveled around the world? If so, this would be true for any latitude. I choose the 90th, although I have to travel around the world just to get there and back.
  • What a beautiful day today. I’d like to have class outside today. All in favor, meet me outside after class.
  • This is about the easiest section we will do all year. As a result, we will spend an extra day doing it.
  • We can’t afford to slow down, not for anything. We have a set amount of curriculum to cover. Q: What if the school blows up? A: That may slow us down a bit.
  • Now for the next problem, we will be blowing up balloons. That’s inflating them, not filling them with lit dynamite.
  • This problem is not right. I don't even think it is wrong.
  • Who stole my “Math Counts” Frisbee? I will not tolerate such shenanigans.
  • I’m sorry, I don’t have any cash on me. I’ve been meaning to buy some more.
  • How silly is to punish an act of truancy with suspension or expulsion. This would be tantamount to paying criminals for robbing banks.
  • It is a sad day in the world of education, when we use the absence of learning opportunities as a punishment for unrelated misbehavior. This reinforces the wrong concept of learning.
  • We are soon fixing to get ready to make plans to begin.
  • I always like to carry a quarter in my pocket just in case anyone ever comes up to me and says, “hey, you ain’t worth a dime.”
  • Today is national “pronounce the silent letter in words” day. In H-onor of the event, we will be discussing Isos-k-eles triangles, inspecting them so closely increasing our K-nowledge of them so much, we are practically dissecting them with a K-nife.
  • The calculus is the easy part. It’s the algebra that will kick your butt.
  • All right, Let's Do it To it.
  • Ready, Set, Go, Stop. Who’s done?
  • Don’t forget units. Millions of points throughout history of math tests have been lost because units have been overlooked. Don’t be a statistical footnote in history.
  • Look, it says 23 percent of Americans don’t believe a thing that Al Gore says. It also says that Disney’s patent of Mickey Mouse will expire in 2003. Look for Al Gore’s percentage to increase as he claims that he invented Mickey Mouse.
  • I got out of homebuilding into teaching because I figured it would be easier to manage students than subcontractors. I found out that this is not necessarily true, but they do show up more regularly.
  • Have no fear about having your ears shot out as I turn on the television, for I have been to teacher school, where they teach you to turn the volume down before doing so.
  • If you’re going to get up in front of someone to teach, especially a very typically boring subject, you’ve got an obligation to at least make it entertaining, if not educational. The same goes for educational consultants at teacher in-services.
  • Leave them laughing. That’s what I always say. Please laugh now as I turn and go.
  • I have lateral tibular fibulitis. I’ll take your word for it.See you next time, or before then.
  • Does it matter if we find side a or side c first? No, It really comes down to our preference: do we prefer Apple Pie or Cherry Pie? Acid or Coc. . .Never mind.
  • Now little g is not only the length of the side opposite angle G, the acceleration due to gravity, but also a rapper out of Compton.
  • Now just because I’m drawing planet Earth with a red marker doesn’t make it Mars.
  • The answer is 47. 666. OOOh. That creeps me. Let’s make it 47.667, the Neighbor of the Beast.
  • So the answer is .411. That’s some good information
  • This road we’re going down is not the scenic route, in fact it’s not even a road. We are clearing our own path. Watch out for tempting serpents.
  • We can verify this triangle is correctly solved by using the triangle inequality, Pythagorean theorem, and using Trig functions, but I think we can see that it’s correct, so let’s not do that, and say we did.

No comments: