Sunday, December 2, 2007

No time for sleep

I don't usually like to admit it, but I really do enjoy good restful sleep. The problem is, being an industrious, busy-body type, I see sleep as a necessary luxury, but with too many things to do, I dare not indulge in soporific slumbers, lest I become hedonistic and behind in my work. Last night, however, after returning late from a victorious football game, I was so sleepy, I could sleep with a horse . . . (some analogies aren't transferable.) I hit the pillow with greedy delight.

Yesterday was filled with activities that varied from a math club decorating function, to a family event on the town square, to a 12-hour out of town commitment to our football team. With everything I got done, I was still unable to run, blog, create my Algebra show for this week, grade papers, get to my chiropractor, count to a million, feed my animals, shower, or watch college football. Knowing that I would have to cram most of these things into TODAY's schedule, except college football and perhaps bathing, I knew I would need a good-night's rest. But did I really have time for such selfish toadying?


Knowing that my children would be spending the night at their grandparents meant that my wife and I would have the King-size bed to ourselves (Yes, my 7 year-old son and 4 year-old daughter do occasionally crawl into bed with us. By occasionally, I mean every night they are home.) It also meant that the kids wouldn't be there in the morning to wake us up prematurely . . . . but DANG, then I remembered my Sunday morning tennis session at daybreak. With an understanding tennis partner, I figured I'd play that one by ear. With any luck, I'd dream of a playing great tennis and sleep right through the real tennis.


Well, I was successful at sleeping in through the tennis match, although I can't remember dreaming of anything at all. Having slept in until 8:30am (a near record,) I still only got 6.5 hours of sleep (about average for me), but I DO feel ready to take on the rest of the day, which will include this blog, a Monday Mail newsletter to my students, folding laundry, hanging Christmas lights, setting up inflatable snowmen, a long run, watching NFL football, writing my Algebra show, apologizing to my tennis partner, grading papers, making a house call to my chiropractor, eating lunch with the in-laws, feeding my animals, fighting off the guilt of having slept in until 8:30, and maybe, just maybe even a taking a shower.


It looks like I'm going to need another good-night's rest again tonight.

I already imagine myself dreaming of being kicked in the ribs by little hands of feet, then awaking several times during the night to discover that dreams really do come true!


No comments: